Monday, June 30, 2008

The 16 years in the making reason to have tried to learn Swahili

There is much to say about our trip up country to day but we all need to rest up for the extravaganza of a day we have in store for tomorrow at the Independence Day celebrations. But I had to tell this story really quickly from last night.

So it was my birthday yesterday and we got some sweet bread (since it was Sunday and many stores were closed, it was the best we could do) and invited some of the people who work in the building to join us. As I was preparing to cut the bread I asked for a knife. Andrew, who had heard my learning Swahili story earlier that day, brought me a knife and asked if I thought I might need any more. To which I replied, Kisu kimoja kitatosha. The look on the faces of my new Burundian friends was priceless. As if the cat had just spoken. They laughed and applauded and asked how I knew Swahili. I then had to explain I only know that one sentence and I'd been waiting half my life to be able to use it. See, it all comes together eventually.

2 comments:

Ian Tregillis said...

I cannot begin tell you how happy this story makes me.

Ian

Unknown said...

Oh Sara, my dear friend, I remember when you learned how to say "one knife will be sufficient" in Swahili, and I've relayed the story to many acquaintances (who humor me, thank heaven!) over the years. At long last, the phrase has its appropriate ceremonial debut! Looking forward to hearing about your trip up country and the independence day celebrations...

Love from NY,
Michelle