Monday, August 23, 2010

I Love School!

First day of class today. So wonderfully, exactly what my hopeful imagination pictured.

For the first hour & 15 minutes the whole class of 2011 (all 180+ of us) are together for a lecture. Or as close to together as we can get- most of us in the Council Room where Orientation was held; those that don’t fit in Classroom #1 with a video feed. UPEACE may be small but we rock the technology. Amr Abdallah, the Vice Rector, gave the lecture this morning about the beginnings of conflict and peace studies as an academic discipline. After the lecture we had a ½ hour break, then met in smaller seminar groups of 22 (minus, of course our African contingent) for discussion. So there we were, 16 of us from all over the world sitting in a classroom with windows all over three of its walls looking out at gorgeousity everywhere talking about the nature of peace and conflict and whether there is such a thing as a ‘Western’ or ‘Eastern’ perspective. Having exactly the kind of rich, juicy discussion that I came here for. The time flew by.

Over lunch I met with some of my fellow Peace Ed students to start brainstorming plans for our program for International Day of Peace on September 21st. I naturally took up the role of note taker and spent a ½ or or so after lunch typing up the notes and emailing them out. Then bus home to Ciudad Colón, talking with Manuel from Honduras/Montana about how our days had gone and how an influx of wealthy Californians is starting to liberalize Montana.

So yeah. I love school. I love what we’re reading about and talking about. I love the totally international group in which we are doing all of these things. I love the beauty of the location in which we are working. Love, love, love where I am right now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Huzzah! So thrilling and exciting to be reading about all of your adventures...I can totally picture you, ever the organizer, stage manager or no!

Unknown said...

Yay!!!!!!! It sounds truly wonderful! The way education should be! I'm reading everyday and can't wait for the next post... Buck says take more pictures please! Hugs

Alyce Barry said...

Gosh, how many university administrators could there be whose titles could be Spoonerisms? (Vice Rector) - Couldn't be many!

I hope these comments aren't simply annoying, since you probably have to approve them one by one.

SGmitter said...

Alyce, they are not annoying at all! I love knowing that someone is reading.