Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Long Goodbye

Friday morning Jocelyne, Red & I went shopping again for the rest of our gifts for friends and family.  I start to finish bargained for a pair of masks from the Congo all on my own and though I'm sure Jocelyne could have gotten a better price I'm still pretty proud of getting the price down from 20 for one to 17 for 2.  We went fabric shopping in the big market without any further incidents of spontaneous Sara dressing.  This time the woman attempting to sell me a dress tried it on herself.  I was quite exhilarated by my bargaining experience but I think I would find it both stressful and time consuming if I always had to bargain anytime I wanted to buy something.  

When we got home it was time for our farewell lunch.  Claire and Maxim who had not been able to join us on our trip came over along with Jocelyne, Marcelline, Desire, Eric and Samual.  We were given a gift of African cloth and many speeches were made.  Desire's speech was part dance, part game of Simon Says, all funny.  When it was my turn I slowly gave my whole speech in Kirundi.  Much was recycled from the radio show the previous day (recycling- very Burundian of me) and there was a lot of repetitive sentence structure (very Aaron Sorkin of me) but it was full sentences and I was quite pleased with myself.   Then as each person took his or her leave there was hand shaking and picture taking and promises to write.  Unfortunately there was some confusion I think about when I was leaving so some people who promised to see me the next day did not arrive before I left for the airport.  So I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to Eric, Odette, Jonathan or Katia.  I'm particularly sad not to have been able to thank abagisha banje beza (my good teachers) one last time for all their help and patience.  

The next morning on the way to the airport there was one final speech from Marcelline and you know the rest.  I got on several planes and flew home.  And everyone wants to know, the Burundians, my family and friends here, will I go back?  To which I answer, yes.  I don't know when or quite how but yes.  Because Jocelyne says I'm no longer a muzungu but umurundikazi, a Burundian woman.  

No comments: