Saturday, July 26, 2008

Final morning

For the last certain time, I woke this morning at 6am to the sound of roosters crowing, male voices speaking Kirundi, the whisper-scratch of Jean Yves father sweeping up the leaves and blossoms of the plumeria tree which had fallen in the night and the smell of a charcoal fire burning.

Last breakfast of egg, bread and fruit- bananas, alas instead of pineapple. I would have liked one more pineapple. Maybe four more. Last cold shower.

I'm wearing a watch for the first time in a month and have only a few hours before I leave for the airport and have one last set of goodbyes.

I'll try in this time to catch up a little more regarding our trip up country on Thursday but in case I don't finish before I leave I just wanted to say, the blog will continue! I'll post pictures once I get home- it was too hard to do from here and try to finish out the at least several more thoughts I have about all of this. Whether it will continue past that is difficult to say. It requires a rare confluence of circumstances to give me both interesting things to write and time enough to write them. So read on while it lasts and I'll see some of you very soon.

No comments: