Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I Got Mail Today!

Ian & Mele, a thousand thanks for your Christmas wishes and the addition to my room decor. I super swear I'm going to stop being a postal hypocrite and send out the postcards I've been accumulating. I just need to learn the word for stamp.

I was able to pick up my mail because I was back on campus for the first time (while it was open) since classes ended. I was meeting w/some folks from DAA to help out with the Orientation for the new students from American University. All of which means I've reached that crucial turning point in a long break when my perception of said break shifts from, "What a long break stretching out before me. There will be time to do everything I want to do in a relaxed and leisurely fashion" to "I can see the end of this break coming at me like a freight train! I have accomplished nothing! Time to buckle down."

Buckling down has commenced. To Do List spreadsheets have been made. The alarm clock has been reinstated. Helpful Post-it note flags have been purchased (Here's what I asked for at the office supply store- a shy person's nightmare where virtually everything is behind the counter and must be requested, in Spanish- "the small things with many colors, like a 'Post-it', (gesture showing putting a flag in the margin of a book)"). I apologize for that punctuation.

In further news on the learning Spanish front, traveling w/Rebecca to Monteverde and La Fortuna provided great opportunities to practice. Before I've always traveled with someone who spoke Spanish much better than I do. This time, I was the go-to Spanish speaker. I think we did all right. In the four days we were traveling, only twice did a Spanish speaker give up on me and switch to English. I still struggle mightily, a lot because I want to have my vocabulary, to say things the way I would say them but instead am trapped in the vocabulary of a 5 year old. A five year old with pronoun agreement problems. (Sigh, I just said, "They want to walk" when I meant "We want to walk.")


3 comments:

Ian Tregillis said...

Glad it arrived! Though I wish I'd managed to get it in the mail much sooner.

Happy New Year!

this Prairie Girl said...

Timbre - is stamp... but it´s not a word you need. Just go to the post office and say, quiero mandar esto (or make it plural) a (I am guessing here, but) estados unidos... To Canada a postcard costs 280, although they have this funny seasonal stamp right now, that you can't opt out of that costs and additional 45C. Letters cost 380. Piece of cake. :)

SGmitter said...

Thanks Diana! I mailed some yesterday. I was consumed w/doubt afterwards because 280 seemed so cheap to go all the way to the US. I'm glad you've confirmed I asked for the right thing.