Sunday, November 21, 2010

North American Culture Night (aka Early/Combined Thanksgiving)



Now before anyone gets appalled or offended, this picture is from a scene in the Thanksgiving pageant I wrote, pre-deconstruction (literal and metaphorical) of the racist and misleading stereotypes of the classic Thanksgiving pageant done in elementary schools. I made the 'hats' with help from some of my fellow Peace Ed-ers. I think the bonnets, in particular are adorable. Cast from left to right is: Sara F, Samantha W, Maricelly M, Mackenzie B-R, Haru S & Maham H. Not pictured- Sara G and Carly S. I'm guessing this photo was taken by Samatha's fiancé Arvil. The evening also included music by Sara F, Midori & Haru, a hip hop dance choreographed by Allison M (danced by yours truly, among others) and vats and vats of mashed potatoes, stuffing, mac & cheese (photo courtesy Samantha W), chicken (turkey too expensive) and vegetables. Also 41 pies.



2 comments:

kilgore trout said...

41 pies?!

SGmitter said...

Yeah. Exactly. To be clear, I did not make any pies. I was captain of Team Mac & Cheese. Diana C (fellow Peace Ed-er) was captain of Team Pie. She organized her band of assistants, held a pie bee to assemble the pumpkin pies (actually made of carrot, but it tasted like pumpkin) and apple pies. Both were delicious. All the apple pies got eaten and I think there were only a few pumpkin pies left. This is what happens when you feed 240+ people.